Friday, August 12, 2011

Workout Capris - Vogue 8396

This is another project that I have needed desperately for months.  I go to the gym at least 4 times a week, and I've been wearing old capris and bike shorts that don't fit and are not flattering.  Not to mention not comfortable!  I'm so psyched that I finally got these done, and I can't wait to try them out on Monday!  Woo hoo!

I picked up this Vogue pattern in a clearout bin at Fabricland sometime last year.  I chose to make View C (the long red ones).  I chopped off 7" so they would end up about the same length as View A & B (approx 30" from the waist).
Vogue 8396
 I cut the size 16.  I measured to see what the finished hip measurement would be (they didn't print it on the pattern...grr!), and I calculated that it would end up at 40 1/2".  My hips are 41 1/2", and I guessed that they would fit best if they were exactly the right size.  So, I sewed the side seams 3/8" instead of 5/8" and gained an extra inch.  My calculations are correct, and they fit great.
 I didn't use the waistband provided in the pattern.  Instead, I tried on my capris, pinned my elastic together, put it on where I would normally wear it, and measured how long I should make my waistband.  It ended up being 3" finished.  My elastic was 34", so I cut a piece of fabric 7" x 34".  I sewed a 1/2" seam at the back, making it into a tube, folded it in half, and sandwiched my elastic in place.  I stretch stitched the elastic, just catching the edge so it doesn't flip around on me, and then I sewed the waistband to the pants with a 1/2" seam.  They are so snug and comfy.  Almost perfect!  The only thing I would adjust next time is to cut the center front down by 1/2-3/4", since they hang a bit low.  This is normal for me.  I usually have to cut down pants and skirts by 1" at center front.
 I hemmed them 1" with my coverstitch, and voila!  They're done!  I worked on these Friday night, and made them all in one sitting.  They took me 2 hours and 15 minutes.  Anything close to 2 hours is a super fast project in my world!


Here is a close-up of what my waistband looks like.  As you can see, it's much more snug than the pants, but hot damn, are they ever comfy!
Front
 I love it when pants hug me nice and snug at the back, and these don't disappoint!
Back
 As far as general construction, I went a bit overboard and stretch stitched and serged every seam.  I intend to wear these to bits, and I don't want them falling apart at the seams!
Side
I am thrilled with these!  The shape of the legs is exactly what I wanted.  I will definitely make these again.  I may also get brave and attempt the gaucho pants, too.  Those are fun, and I would get a kick out of wearing them.


I'm going to enjoy working out cuz now I have custom-fitted, comfy capris!  Yay!

2 comments:

  1. That is one incredibly cute workout outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! I found your blog on PatternReview. You are their featured member.

    ReplyDelete