Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Audrey's Sheath Dress - Vogue 8110

Audrey is a lady from choir.  She asked me to make her a simple sheath dress for her upcoming birthday.  I happened to have this pattern in my stash, and it was even in her size range.  I picked it up in a bin sale ages ago, thinking it would be useful to have in my stash for this very purpose.  
She loved the design.  I decided to cut a 6-8-10, and I folded up the petite 'shorten' lines.  This was a very good decision.  The waistline hit her at exactly the right place, and it hung beautifully.
I sewed the lining together first, so we could adjust the fit.  I added a seam at the waist and used cotton for the bodice and satin for the skirt.  
It fit her like a glove.  It was a little tight at the bust and under the arms, so I let out the side seams 2", and I lowered the armhole.  I also made a 1/2" swayback adjustment.
The blue print is rayon, and it was wonderful to work with.  It pressed very well, and was light and drapey.  
I sewed this entire dress in 7 1/2 hours.  What a great, easy project.  And what a great fit!  
Audrey, you look fabulous!  Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

  1. What an absolutely beautiful job you did on this. The fabric is lovely and the fit divine! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the fit looks really good! Very pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I like the concept of sewing the lining first and using that to check for fit. She looks great in her custom dress!

    ReplyDelete