Saturday, October 31, 2015

Simplicity 2690 Wearable Muslin

This project has been on my wish list for a very long time.  A handful of years, I think.  I don't remember what came first, the fabric or the pattern, but they are a match made in heaven.
I immediately fell in love with view A.  The printed fabric is sheer and drapey, so my plan is to underline the tunic in brown rayon and leave the sleeves sheer.  And I will use the white ribbon as accents just like their version.  Cute, huh?
 So a couple weekends ago, I dug out this pattern and decided to make a muslin.  After I cut out all the pattern pieces and pressed them, I was humming and hawing because I wasn't sure if it was going to fit.  So I googled the pattern and perused a handful of blog posts, and everyone seemed to have good luck with it.   I decided to try it in a knit first, and chose view C.  Today I dug in and sewed the whole thing from start to finish. 
I used a soft cotton knit that my mother-in-law gave me a couple years ago.  I'm not a big fan of the print; it's a bit pale and too flowery for my tastes, but it's decent enough that if it turns out, I will be happy to wear it to church.
 I cut out a size 18 and sewed it together with no alterations.  I read in someone's blog that the front bodice was a bit short, but I wanted to see what the original fit like before I made any changes.
Overall, it's really good, and I'm loving this pattern.  The front bodice does need to be at least an inch longer under the bust, especially when I make this in a woven.  And the modesty panel needs to be an inch higher, and I will bring in the neckline at the shoulders about an inch.  
The underarms are a bit low, but they don't really bother me.  I like loose armholes, so I will likely wear a beige bra and leave it at that.
Knowing that the front bodice was short, I didn't make my elastic very snug.  I had a top similar to this a few years ago, and the elastic was way too tight and it just looked like "BOOBS!".  So I left it fairly loose, and I'm happy with how it sits on this version.  It's snug at the back and sits comfortably at the front.  

I serged the waist seam at the full 5/8" and encased the elastic as I sewed.  I don't like feeding elastic through casing, so this was easier.  I just had to scrunch it up periodically so I had enough length to sew flat.
 Here are my Front, Side, and Back shots.  My camera doesn't focus very well anymore, so I had to use the text setting to get some clear shots.  The lighting on the rest of the pictures is better, but some of them are blurry.  Even these ones aren't that clear.  Oh well.  I guess it's time for a new camera!
 I really like the fit and style of this top, but this fabric definitely doesn't suit me.  I'm a winter, not a summer.  Speaking of winter, do you like my penguin PJ pants?  LOL
 In addition to my long-sleeved tunic that I've been dreaming of, I already dug out some knit leftovers from my stash in a print that is definitely more my style.  Funky and modern.  :)
And let's give some props to my hair today!  I'm a couple weeks overdue for a haircut because I have to streak it myself and I'm lazy.  So it's long and shaggy (for me).  When I woke up this morning, it was 3 times crazier than this.  It's actually kinda cute!  I don't mind leaving it a bit longer.
 I am so happy that I finally sewed a garment for myself!  I believe March 2012 was the last time I made an actual garment for myself.  It feels so good!

Update: July 2016

I've worn this top only a handful of times, but this past weekend, I fell in love with it.  Previously, I felt comfortable, but I wasn't feeling particularly flattered.  That is, until I saw this impromptu photo taken by a random second cousin at my family's summer BBQ.  I didn't realize how flattering it is, not only the style, but the colours!  I am even more excited now to make another one in a funky modern knit.  :)

1 comment: