Friday, April 2, 2010

My Wedding Dress - July 19, 2008


Ever since I caught the sewing bug when I was younger, I've always dreamed of designing and making my own wedding dress. About a year before my wedding, my mom and I were looking through a bridal magazine (I think it was the only one I ever bought), and we found this picture of a cool angle design on a corset. It was the coolest thing I ever saw, and to this day, I haven't seen a wedding dress design that I liked more than this one.

I made my own petticoat, and it took a few tries before I got the tiers to be in the right place, and the right amount of fullness. This is my final petticoat. It was huge! I felt like a princess as soon as I put it on, and I guess that's every bride's dream, right?


I decided to make a corset and a skirt, and I loved the asymmetry of the angle on the top of the corset. I took that and ran with it. This is a sketch of the lines I designed for my skirt. If you'll notice on my rust/orange test skirt, the lines get wider as they get closer to the bottom. The corset was very similar, only the lines were very small.


After several muslins of each component of the dress (corset, petticoat, and overskirt), I ended up with this! The dress is made of dupioni silk with organza overlay. One of my favorite parts was the side seam pockets I decided to put in! They turned out to be very handy on my wedding day!

I couldn't believe how well it all turned out!

1 comment:

  1. GORGEOUS! Love that you had pckets too!
    What kind of boning did you use?
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete