Corset & Crinoline
My first task was to make a corset fitting, and after a few minor adjustments, we had our foundation for the dress. Next, I worked on the crinoline. I designed it from scratch, and based it on the simple design of the crinolines found in almost every ready-to-wear wedding dress. We had to have a couple of fittings before the tiers were in the right spot, and poufy enough.
|Crinoline pinned to the corset|
|Crinoline sewn to the corset|
I was confident enough in the pattern I chose for the green satin skirt that I cut and sewed it without making a muslin first. I made sure it would be too big, not too small, so I could take it in if need be, and that turned out to be the case.
|Green Satin Underskirt|
I made a cotton muslin for the overdress. I used the front skirt pattern from my favorite Burda dress pattern. I actually made these dresses for 2 of my bridesmaids. I’ve been in love with this pattern since the first time I laid eyes on it, and I’m glad I get to use it again for this dress.
I made up the back of the dress using yet another pattern. It has princess seams and a center back zipper.
|Back of dress|
I was pleasantly surprised and a little bit shocked that the overdress fit perfectly, aside from the bodice pieces. The pleats in the front of the skirt drape perfectly over the crinoline and full green skirt. I couldn’t have asked for better results. Yay! The first bodice was a crossover style, and it was pleated. It fit fine, but the pleats were all clustered in the center.
|First overdress fitting|
It wasn’t quite what we were looking for, so I tried another gathered version, and it was awful.
|I was so miffed with the results, I threw them out without getting a picture!|