Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lindsey’s Wedding Dress – March-May 2010

Corset & Crinoline

My first task was to make a corset fitting, and after a few minor adjustments, we had our foundation for the dress.  Next, I worked on the crinoline.  I designed it from scratch, and based it on the simple design of the crinolines found in almost every ready-to-wear wedding dress.  We had to have a couple of fittings before the tiers were in the right spot, and poufy enough.

Crinoline pinned to the corset
Crinoline sewn to the corset 
Green underskirt

I was confident enough in the pattern I chose for the green satin skirt that I cut and sewed it without making a muslin first.  I made sure it would be too big, not too small, so I could take it in if need be, and that turned out to be the case.
Green Satin Underskirt
Overdress

I made a cotton muslin for the overdress.  I used the front skirt pattern from my favorite Burda dress pattern.  I actually made these dresses for 2 of my bridesmaids.  I’ve been in love with this pattern since the first time I laid eyes on it, and I’m glad I get to use it again for this dress. 

Burda 8321
I made up the back of the dress using yet another pattern.  It has princess seams and a center back zipper. 
Back of dress
I was pleasantly surprised and a little bit shocked that the overdress fit perfectly, aside from the bodice pieces.   The pleats in the front of the skirt drape perfectly over the crinoline and full green skirt.  I couldn’t have asked for better results.  Yay!  The first bodice was a crossover style, and it was pleated.  It fit fine, but the pleats were all clustered in the center. 
First overdress fitting
It wasn’t quite what we were looking for, so I tried another gathered version, and it was awful. 

I was so miffed with the results, I threw them out without getting a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment