Saturday, July 17, 2010

Amy’s Renaissance Wedding Dress – Sewing – June 2010

Everything fit very well at the last fitting, so now it was time for me to get down to the nitty gritty and put this whole thing together! 

I cut out the bodice pieces in the main fabric.  I sewed them together and sewed on gold trim on all the seamlines.
I attached this new layer to the existing white bodice and sewed them together at the necklines and down the center front.  I turned it inside out and topstitched it, then I stitched the armholes and the bottom edge together.
Next, I cut out the skirt pieces and sewed them all together.  I topstitched the center front and back of the skirts, and I sewed trim onto the center back edges.  I gathered the top edges and pinned them to the bodice, then sewed them down.
I applied 4 grommets to the front of the bodice, making sure they would fit between the scallops on the trim.
I sewed the silk sleeves with elastic on the inside and trim on the outside.  This silk was like the icing on the cake.  The texture was amazing, and it was a little bit shiny, which brought out the gold embroidery on the trim.  Gorgeous!
I sewed the sleeves into the bodice, then I sewed the trim onto the center fronts and neckline of the dress.
That’s it!  Now I just have to wait until Amy’s final fitting, and I can pin up her hem and do a couple minor finishing details, and then it’s done!  I can’t wait to see what it looks like on her over that gorgeous white dress!  My poor little dress form just doesn’t do it justice.

1 comment: