My brother Scott was easy on me for Halloween this year. We basically up-cycled his costume from last year. Here's a reminder. I made him a shirt, pants, and a jacket.
He decided to use the same outfit, but he wanted a new white shirt. Here's a close up of his shirt from last year.
Out of the whole outfit, the shirt fit him the best. I made the whole suit from vintage patterns.
I got all the hard work out of the way last year when I graded this shirt pattern from a 34 chest to a 46. It fit him perfectly; all I had to do was lower the armhole by an inch. And of course, I added extra length to the sleeves and hem. (He's 6'8" - perfect candidate for custom sewing) It has a really nice shape. It's not just a rectangle, it's slightly tapered at the waist. Those dudes back in the 70's sure knew how to dress!
I bought some nice white cotton poplin and it sewed up wonderfully. The printed stuff from last year was quilting cotton. The poplin was even better, but then again, it's kinda designed for shirts and stuff, isn't it? The sewing went really well. I felt like I was flying through everything, but it still took me 6 hours from start to finish. I liked that I didn't have to measure anything. It fit perfectly last time, so I didn't have to double check the fit or anything.
I hope you can see how good the fit is. It looks even better in person. I don't think I could have done a better job if I had drafted it from scratch. What a lucky pattern! I can't wait to make him more. Except the next ones will have a slightly smaller collar. Those wing tips go all the way to his shoulders!
Here is the Disco Vampire look he came up with. The makeup is a little intense, but he informed me that it was exaggerated because he would be in a dark bar all night. Oh, and I took in his suit a little more this year. It was a bit boxy. Now it fits him nice and snug. Pretty spiffy!