Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Adventures in Upholstery - "Extra Fabric Required to Match Plaids or Stripes"

Here is a simple little project that I did a few weeks ago.  It's a plaid ottoman, and I love the challenge of getting plaid lined up just right.

I cut the top piece and centred the plaid stripes on the sides and the middle.  Here I'm peeking under the fabric to line it up with the center mark underneath.
I stapled it down at the center mark on all 4 sides, then pulled the corners down and folded them nicely.
I trimmed off the excess and prepared to attach the skirt, which I already had sewn up, and all my pieces were centred.
I'm stapling the seam allowance underneath the skirt, pulling tight to get my corners to fit.
TA-DA!  Ain't she pretty?  I think it's cute as a bug's ear!
I definitely know how to take pride in my work.  My dad has taught me well.  You should hear the two of us get going when we get to the "pretty" stage on some of this furniture.  Man, we're good!  :D
This is the seat of a chair.  It's tricky to get the fabric on straight, and with a stripe or a plaid, it's essential that you get it perfect.  I enjoyed the challenge.  I was so proud of myself!  
Here are a few more examples of striped furniture that Dad has done in the past.  The stripe has to be in the center.  The majority of the work gets done in the cutting stage.  You really gotta pay attention!  After that, it's easy to line everything up.
Isn't this just the cutest thing?  I love ottomans.
We like wingbacks.  They're very classic.  
I hope you enjoyed my second entry of Adventures in Upholstery!  We're currently working on some really awesome furniture, and now that I'm blogging about it, I'm taking lots of pictures!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment